Monday, August 27, 2007

What's the Motivation?

A few months back, a good friend came up with an interesting idea -- she had some key people in her life that all felt like they were meant/destined for "something big" but not sure what, and not sure what to do about it (I think most of us can relate). So, she wanted to start an e-mail discussion group to explore this concept.

The discussions were insightful and thought-provoking. I checked with the key people in the group and they graciously agreed to let me share some of these thoughts on this new blog. So, here's the first of some of those discussions:

One thing I've thought about all my life is how exciting it is to be alive at this point in history (I know, sounds corny, please hear me out). Think for a moment about the ideas, concepts, and communications available to people throughout history. Up until just a couple of generations ago, your thoughts and ideas could only realistically be shared with people in your town (maybe county, possibly more if you were good enough to write a regular column or be featured on a regular broadcast). Today, the whole world is open to us.

I meet with a good friend who has traveled the world and lived in Brazil for at least 30 years. He's now settled in Delaware, but keeps in contact with his friends in Brazil, Africa, Eastern Europe, and Asia (his son lives and works in China). Whenever I meet with Dave, he is able to give me real insights into things happening all over the world -- normally I see news reports from CNN days or weeks later relating to some of these insights. There is no way this kind of communication and interaction could ever have taken place just a few decades ago. This excites me (I know, I'm a geek).

Anyhow, more to the point of feeling "destined" for "something" -- as I think about this, I realize that my mind is going in about 10 different directions. Normally, when that happens, I start to think "multi-part series!"

So, let's dig in with part one: Motivation

If we feel that we are to be part of "something big" -- why? Do we want to get personal glory from it? Do we want to be able to show all those nay-sayers in high school that we could amount to something? Do we want our ego stroked?

Or, do we recognize that things could be better somehow, and we want to do what we can to make that happen, regardless of who gets the credit?

In my opinion, it is only when we get to the point where we say, "OK, I don't care what happens to me, I believe this needs to happen" that we're ready to do whatever it is we're supposed to do.

So, one by one, what motivates you to try and find a way to try and "do something" towards improving the world around you?

No comments: