Thursday, August 16, 2007

Let it out!

OK, you're going to have to work with me on this one.

I've been thinking more and more about this concept that every relationship we have with those around us (spouse, parent, child, friend, co-worker, boss, stranger on the street, everybody) is both a reflection of and something to learn about our relationship with God.

Ponder that one for a moment.

I'll expand on that idea in a future post, but for now I just want to start with that premise and move into the relationship I have with my lovely bride.

Now, this is one that you can't argue with, because if you've been to more than a couple of weddings, you've most likely heard the verse:
Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ loved the church…
This is a great mystery, and I am applying it to Christ and the church.

Ephesians 5: 25a, 32
So, allow me to share something interesting about the relationship Kristin and I have.

You see, one of the things I've always enjoyed about Kristin (we've known each other since 1989, you do the math) is her sense of style - she wears the most interesting clothes and jewelry. Some would call her style "funky", others "interesting", still others "wild." She loves the color orange and she makes her own unique jewelry.

Kristin also has an incredible voice - seriously, I could sit and listen to her sing every day for hours.

Unfortunately, Kristin has dated guys in the past who didn't really care for her sense of style, and some who didn't want her singing too loud in church. It would appear that some of these guys weren't too comfortable with Kristin really being herself.

When Kristin and I first got married a little over two years ago, I remember her asking regularly if I was OK with her wearing certain outfits or jewelry, or making sure I was really enjoying her singing.

I believe my message to her has been consistent - I want her to be more of herself than she's ever been before.

Here's the cool part.

She is more of herself now than when we first got married. She loves being able to express who she is - she seems to love knowing how much delight I take in being with her as she does everything that makes her feel like more of herself.

So, is it possible that God is like that with us?

Could it be that while we're listening to people telling us not to sing too loud or to dress a certain way - maybe God is saying, "wait a minute, I like your voice - I like your sense of style - I want you to be the YOU you were meant to be!"

I think so, and I don't think I'm alone…

…as the bridegroom rejoices over the bride,
so shall God rejoice over you

Isaiah 62:5b

What makes you unique? What is inside of you that you really want to let out? I believe the God who put that creative spark inside you wants to see it come out - wants to delight in what happens when you become more of who you are meant to be.

No comments: