Saturday, August 28, 2010

Rainbows all the way - to 1858!

Yes, I'm really loving the whole Double Rainbow thing - from Hungrybear9562's original cries of glee to Schoyoho's autotune to the countless variations (seriously, I've heard the acoustic, metal, rap, and spoken-word versions of this thing - all awesome in their own way).

Of course, we know that it was just a couple of decades ago that Kermit the frog sang about the Rainbow Connection (note, Willie Nelson also does a great version).

Then there's Judy Garland singing about that place Somewhere Over The Rainbow (note: Jeff Beck does an awesome version of this one!)

But, this morning my lovely bride brought this to my attention - she's reading Charlotte Bronte's 1858 novel, "The Professor" - and in chapter 19, the title character, William Crimsworth, says this:

"I had before me the arch of an even rainbow; a perfect rainbow - high, wide, vivid. I looked long; my eye drank in the scene, and I suppose my brain must have absorbed it... the mighty rainbow."

I think there's only one way to describe all of this - it's so - what's the word I'm looking for - oh, yea, Intense!

No comments: